Wednesday, July 16, 2014

What's up Wednesday 7/15/14



Yea! It's time for the What's Up Wednesday weekly blog hop created Jaime Morrow and  Erin Funk. Thank you both for connecting writers together, this is great!


WHAT I'M READING

Defiance (Defiance #1)
Still reading Defiance by C. J. Redwine. I have to stop myself from reading because I had so much going on this weekend. I can't wait to finish though so I can hop on the next book in the series.

 
WHAT I'M WRITING

I did some final edits on my query and submitted to QueryDrill. If you haven't heard of this, it was started by an intern slush pile reader and they will read your query for you and give you feedback before you query to actual agencies. A wonderful opportunity for newbie writers like myself.

I sat down today and actually revised an entire chapter. I'm hitting the midpoint where things have turned in a totally different direction and both my MCs are going through massive changes. So I'm hoping to feel a little more excited with the newness of it.

WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW


I'm getting really excited for Midwest Writer's Conference and a little nervous. I hate going places and not knowing anyone there, but I'm hoping to meet some wonderful new people.

Outstanding series have been inspiring me lately. There was a Harry Potter marathon this weekend on ABC Family and I fall in love with J.K. Rowling's ability every time. The minute details in the first book that had an impact right in the very end, just amazing. I love to analyze a story and figure out each layer within the story. Wandlore, race relations, dark magic, light magic, love, family (both biological and other), culture differences, I could go on and on. Is there anything Harry Potter doesn't touch? It sets a standard for writing that I will hold, probably forever.


WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO


Monday I was pretty much in a daze after having a not-so-fun procedure. Everything went well, but I slept most of Monday. The big upside is that I get to be on bed rest for a couple of days and I'm supposed to take it slow for a few more after that. So I got to be attached to my laptop yesterday and I plan on doing more work on WIP while under the restriction. Always looking for the silver linings!

How is everyone else doing?

7 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more about Harry Potter. We're listening to book 6 in the car for the umpteenth time, and I keep listening to the same section again and again as different kids need rides, and don't want to skip ahead. I'm amazed at the way it continues to be interesting. I know how bored I am of my own stuff after reading it that often. JK Rowling is a genius.

    I hope you recover quickly, and yet get lots of writing done in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the second person I've come across who has mentioned QueryDrill this week. I went and bookmarked the site for the next time I'm querying. Hope your submission yields some great advice! I've been working through a HP reread over the past months and am about to start the final book. They just get better and better every time you read them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for QueryDrill! I'm definitely going to check that out.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband bought me DEFIANCE for Christmas, but somehow it got buried in my TBR pile so I haven't read it yet. Too many books, too little time! You're making me want to sit down and read HP again too. Usually the urge to do that hits me full force every fall, you know, when it's Halloween and pumpkin season. The perfect time of year for all things magical!

    I hope you're recovering well and enjoy your extra time to write! Good luck with that query as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched the Harry Potter marathon too! Even after the number of times I've seen them, there's still so much fun in those movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the QueryDrill tip, Anna. I haven't heard of that before, but it sounds like a useful service.

    I think the depth of the Potter world is what makes it so appealing. If you look at all the stories that have lived well beyond the original books (Narnia, Lord of the Rings, etc.), they all seem to have a certain tangible quality. You feel like you could visit that world, learn the rules, get to know the languages, experience the culture. It took JKR years working on back story, characters, and details before she wrote the first page, but clearly it was time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, there's a great vividness to the Potterverse. I need to watch the movies.

    Good luck with your revisions. QueryDrill sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete