Monday, July 13, 2015

Ready, Set, Write! Update #5


Ready. Set. WRITE! is a summer writing intensive that encourages goal-setting and accountability, and provides an opportunity for us to cheer each other on wherever we're at with our writing projects—planning, drafting, revising, or polishing. This year, your RSW hosts are Alison MillerJaime MorrowErin FunkElodie Nowodazkij, and Katy Upperman. We check in every Monday and conclude on August 31.

1. How I did on last week’s goals


I did get a lot of the BB edits finished. I think I got maybe 500 words added to Survivors, but after critique group, I think it's going to need some more research before moving forward. I may have to switch over to Arrow.


The house is back into some reasonable sense of normality again. Still not quite finished, but I ran around with loads of laundry in three days. Most of it got folded.


I do have a new book, Crimson Bound. I hope it is as good as Cruel Beauty.  And I am most definitely relaxing... 😎


2. My goal(s) for this week

Figure out how to explain to the agents who have partials and the full that I have made edits without looking like a diva author who wasn't ready when I started querying. (Situation: I won a critique from a published author in the midst of querying and she made one overarching comment that I have been adding in from where it was missing.)

Add 2,000 words to Arrow Nocked or Survivors.

READ! Because for once, I have time.


RELAX!

3. A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised
Smoothing the folds of her dress she raised her chin to full measure. He looked down at her, his head cocked slightly to the side, an amused smile on his face. He was amused. And she hated him. “I am not afraid.”

4. The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write, the siren song of SNIs)


Too much stress in my brain, I couldn't see my characters, my story, anything. It was exhausting and sad. Much better now that the stress is over. I picked up right where I left off as soon as my butt hit the plane.

5. Something I love about my WiP

That I've been working on it this long and I'm still not tired of it.





Sorry for the weird formatting. Trying to do this on the iPad is not so fun!

Write with your heart!

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, that's tricky with the agent thing. I'd send an email that briefly explains the situation (like you did in this blog post, because that contest win says good things about your writing) and then mention that you've attached an updated version of the partial/full. I think agents understand that these things happen. That said, I'm no expert, so... :-) Best of luck with your 2K this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the line you've shared, your character sounds brilliant just from those few words! Good luck with this week, I hope it's fun and productive now that your stress is over--and yay for reading time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! That with the agent thing is difficult. I did it once, and the agent was really understanding. Just make sure you explain exactly why there were suddenly revisions. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to the stressed brain thing and the way it clouds out any ability to see your story clearly. I've been there for the past few weeks myself. Happy to hear your stress has passed and you're able to tackle your writing again. From the sounds of it, you know what to do next, so that's great! Hope you have a wonderful week, Anna! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get outta here, stress! Glad you got through it! And I would be a bucket of anxiety if I was in that situation with the agent. I hope that a ray of inspiration strikes you this week and you figure out the perfect solution. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are feeling less stressed and your characters are back in vivid color! I think the agent explanation you shared here is really good and you certainly don't sound like a diva, so don't stress about that either :) Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate to fold laundry! So it usually just gets dumped in a basket. =) Good luck w/all the words this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate to fold laundry! So it usually just gets dumped in a basket. =) Good luck w/all the words this week!

    ReplyDelete