Monday, July 28, 2014

Ready, Set, WRITE! Week 8


RSW is a summer writing intensive hosted by Jaime Morrow, Alison Miller, Katy Upperman, and Erin Funk. You can sign up on the linky at any of the host blogs every Monday. Remember to encourage other participants too! For more info on RSW and a link to the lovely buttons, go here.

 
1. How I did on last week’s goals
 
Laughable, but amazing. I did not revise my synopsis, I printed all the copies and left them on my computer desk. I felt like a total failure.

But what happened at Midwest Writer's was so much better than any of that. I learned so much in those few couple of days. I met so many other amazing authors and we got to share our passion.

And I did write, just not what I had intended. I worked on a new WIP, a YA apocalyptic I'm calling SI, that really began flowing during classes. I used the exercises to write my opening and I mapped out the world building.

2. My goal(s) for this week


Revise 2 chapters on HB. 

Finish synopsis for HB.

Continue world building and character development for SI.


 
Read at least 30 minutes each day. My booklist has gotten way too long!

3. A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised.


Of all the animals that survived that winter, Daisy had to be one of them. She laid there, lifeless, as I tiptoed down the hall. Worst guard-dog ever.

4. The biggest challenge I faced this week.

The conference was so busy, that I didn't have a whole lot of time for free writing. Now I just have so many great ideas I hardly know where to start!
5. Something I love about my WiP.


I love the way people looked at me when I told them my quick pitch and said, wow that's different.

How did you do this week? I'd love to hear from you!

  
 

5 comments:

  1. You went to Midwest Writers! Awesome. I went last year, it's a great conference. I followed the tweets a bit this year. I favorited and retweeted a ton of tweets from Daniel Jose Older's workshops. Did you see him? He said some vital things about deconstructing what diversity means. Very challenging stuff.

    I hope you remain inspired by the conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great conference. I went to two of Daniel Jose Older's workshops and he was the speaker on the last night. I loved his workshop on diversity and world building. It's what woke me up at 4:30 in the morning putting together diversity charts. They were all incredible. And I won a signed copy of his book, can't wait to read it!

      Delete
  2. I love a good YA apocalyptic story. I can't wait to hear more. Good luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My booklist continues to be ridiculously long. And yay for an awesome conference! So glad you were able to start on a new WiP! Always fun and rejuvenating. Hope you have a great week! Good luck with that synopsis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the voice in the excerpt! I've always wondered if my dog(all 6 lbs of her) would react negatively to a stranger in our house, or if she'd be all like 'pet me, pet me!' =D Happy writing this week!

    ReplyDelete