Saturday, December 14, 2013

Getting over my fears

I have no idea what I'm doing.  That's not exactly true, but I feel that way sometimes.  I've danced around career paths for twelve years now.  I know what I want to do, but I'm terrified to do it.  So instead I took the smart paths, paths that will take me into a stable life.  But in my head I live in a land of stories.  Stories of all types and sizes.  In my head they take life, I dream about them day in and day out, they never leave me.  But I am a coward and that is where they stay, in my head, not on paper.

Then one day I found a coward's way out.  A writing type where I can play without fear, fan fiction.  And one day I look at it and I see it.  I can make this work, I can twist it and make it my own.  So that's what I'm doing now.  Trying to gather courage to make this work.  And so I am taking my first little baby steps, putting my heart our there for all the world to see.  I guess we will see where it goes from here....

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anna! I read your story on Fanfiction, and I really loved it. Thousands of stories had been running in my mind all my life too, but, the same as you, I have never done anything "serious" with them. I began writing a story that had been on my mind for a long time without telling anyone, even neither my husband, when I discovered Fanfiction. I decided to give it a try, to test myself, and to see if my writing could interest someone. I hope one day to have your courage! I'm in awe of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a really great way to get started. And the sense of community helps bolster some confidence. I've been off of it for a while now and that's the part I miss the most. But now I'm connecting with other writers in new ways. It is scary to start out on your own, but totally worth it. Even if it never gets published, I will always be proud of the sense of accomplishment and the growth that I have been through this past year. I can't wait to see what you can do as well!

      Delete