Saturday, March 15, 2014

Searching for the love of my life...

Otherwise known as the perfect agent.

In the midst of my never-ending editing I have been researching agents. The compulsive nerd in me has made a spreadsheet of agents as I come across them so when the editing is finally done I'm ready to query. This has been almost as fun for me as the actual writing and editing process. As I referenced earlier, I love to learn and research, for me, is a big part of that. I still intend to a post about all the helpful websites I have found, as there have been so many.

Essentially this has culminated in me trying to identify my idea of the perfect agent. I would ultimately be happy if anyone took an interest in me and my book, but in order to find someone I have to decide what would be the best for me.

So what does my ideal mate look like? At this point, I am only looking at women agents. I feel that they would understand my book better, especially since they represent my target audience. I am categorizing this book in the fantasy genre, most fairy tales are. But the perfect agent would have a specific interest in magical realism or high fantasy. So that's the easy part, every agent pretty much has that information available on their website. What am I looking for beyond that? I want someone FUN and QUIRKY like me! That's harder to see. For that, most times, you have to go beyond the company website. Google them, look at their blog, their twitter, or wherever they are.

I haven't been exclusive to my dream agents, which I have found about 5 thus far. I'm searching everyone who meets the criteria because you never know where you might find your perfect agent. The whole process works like a dating match where you have to like me and I have to like you, and dating scares the crap out of me. I haven't dated for at least 13 years... But I guess we'll get to that when I finally am ready to query!

What I'm reading: The Shifter, by Janice Hardy
https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/6316125-the-shifter

The Shifter (Healing Wars, #1)

On my iPod: Chocolate, by The 1975

No comments:

Post a Comment