Sunday, January 19, 2014

Who needs school anyways? Part I

So I should mention I love to learn.  After graduating high school I have been back to school 3 times.  I really like to learn.  And now I have three very odd degrees that don't exactly fit together, but they pretty perfectly describe the daytime me.  The first was a bachelors degree in Health Administration, the second is a graduate certificate as a Healthcare Program Analyst with a concentration in Lean Six Sigma, and I just finished my second bachelors in Dietetics in August.  I was convinced that I wanted to be a dietitian because that's a realistic goal.  It's the practical thing to do.  I'm tired of being practical.

Back in high school, which seems like forever ago, I remember taking their personality testing to see what options look best for you.  I will never forget my scores, highest in the Arts, second in Science, third is Business.  So I look back at my degrees and what do I see?  Two science degrees and one business.  I never saw the arts as a career option because that wasn't a rational thing to do and I wanted to be able to support my family.  I loved to sing and I was in the band in high school, but I was okay at the first and not so great at the second.  But I loved to do them.  And writing... I loved writing so much.  But it wasn't practical as a career choice.  I mean, what are the chances I will ever actually get published?  So I pushed myself into those fields that I liked and hoped that I could live with them.

Somewhere around the time of my second chemistry class in dietetics, I realized that I missed writing.  I would push off my homework so that I could finish up a last chapter.  It took me an entire year to finish organic chemistry because I avoided those modules at all costs.  I finished my first story before I finished the class!  So after two months of being out of school, I wanted to try my hand at writing for real.  I don't know if I will succeed or if I'll be crying into a glass of wine after my hundredth rejection notice.  But I'm tired of hiding behind my science sided brain.  I want to let the artist out, I miss her so much.

And if all else fails, I can always fall back into one of those two jobs that my high school personality test told me would be ideal for me: tattoo artist or ballerina

No comments:

Post a Comment